I created a list of easy hiking trails in Klang Valley that I wanted to go at the beginning of the year. Bukit Dinding hiking trail was the only unchecked one on the list until one fine Sunday!
According to online sources, Bukit Dinding is one of the tallest hills in Kuala Lumpur. I don’t know how true it is but being one of the tallest doesn’t seem to earn it any popularity.
There were only about 20 cars parked by the roadside in an orderly manner when I arrived at about 7.15am on a Sunday. That’s not a lot compared to Bukit Gasing, Bukit Kiara, Kota Damansara Community Trail and even Setia Alam Community Trail.
I suspect most of the cars lined there were not even hikers because there seemed to be a Bukit Dinding Challenge happening that Sunday. What challenge? A bunch of super fit people was running up and down the hill multiple times! If I heard them right, they had to do it 10 times. That’s insane!! 🤤 I hope I heard it wrong.
Why was that insane? That’s 50km up and down a hill. Also, the start of Bukit Dinding was super steep… I wished I could measure the steepness. If you’ve been to Bukit Sapu Tangan, I think this one stretch of Bukit Dinding was steeper than Bukit Sapu Tangan.
However, I found this hill so much easier than Bukit Sapu Tangan. Firstly, the steep section was short. Secondly, only that part at the beginning of the hike was steep (while you’re still energetic); the rest felt like a slow climb up. In fact, at many sections, it felt like a stroll in the park.
Thirdly, there’s no cheat feeling at this hill. LOL. Hiking to the peak, the route just kept going upwards, unlike many hikes where you go up, just to find yourself going down a little, before going up again (and down and up) until you finally reach the peak.
Fyi, the Bukit Dinding hiking trail that I took was tarmac and concrete road 90% of the way until the peak. The other 10% were probably just broken.
There’s a hiking trail on the dirt road too but I didn’t read about it online until I saw it there so I didn’t take that route. That route seemed quite scenic because of the rubber trees — tall and straight, I imagine the gaps between the trees creating amazing sun rays on a misty yet sunny morning. 😍
I was expecting to hike on tarmac road anyway so I wore my sports shoes instead of my rubber shoes (Adidas Kampung). I don’t have sports shoes for hiking thus I really don’t like to go on dirt roads without my trusty Adidas Kampung.
Back to the hike, the hiking trail at Bukit Dinding ended at a telecommunication tower and station located at the peak. Was that why RK was staring at his phone screen throughout the hike? He said the mobile internet was fast. 😅
I’m guessing the reason this hill was not populated was that of the lack of a lookout point. It’s such a waste though because KL city center (KL Tower and Petronas Twin Towers included), Tabur Hill and Genting Highlands were within the vicinity.
How did I know? Drone. 😅
Setiawangsa was definitely very far for me from Klang but I wouldn’t mind going back there if friends want to go there. Especially if anybody wanna explore the dirt road trail with me!
BUT! I’d definitely remember to bring mosquitoes repellent. Got bitten by so many mosquitoes when we stopped at the peak to fly the drone.
13 thoughts on “Bukit Dinding Hiking Oct 2017”
A very good info.thanks!!!the 5 km distance is it for up n down distance?
Sorry I missed this comment. Yes, 5km is for up and down =)
Hi. Great article. Thanks for the info. You mentioned that you prepared list of hiking trails. It would be great, if you could post an article listing out all the hiking trails (ranked from easy to moderate to tough), it would be of great motivation for beginners like me.
Great idea! Thanks! I’d do that one day =)
Hi, mind if i share ur post?
Go ahead! And thanks in advance =)
Heard from fellow using another trail (rubber zone) much thrill and adventure…luckily im going this 1/1/2018 …rainforest-tracker’s.blogspot.my
Hi. Nice~ Enjoy your hike on New Year’s Day!
wow it’s useful information about Bukit Dinding Setiawangsa. For your information there was another trail to the peak of Dinding.
Thanks. Didn’t explore that trail. Do share about it if you did! ^^
Hi. The other trail is inside the rubber farm. The trail was very nice. An old road. You can start hike from Setiawangsa Water Tank. 15/56 Road. For more detail maybe we can arrange a good day to hike Bukit Dinding via the trail.
Hi. Thanks for the info!